Recently Frank, one of our gentlemen who lives at Springhill Care Home in Accrington proudly shared pictures he’s been working on and adding to his own art portfolio.
Frank told the team that “until he came to Springhill Care Home he had never been interested in colouring, but now he loves it”.
Frank joins in with all the arts and craft activities at Springhill Care Home as well as spending time alone to build up his portfolio.
Colouring can be very relaxing and therapeutic and it is also a “Being Mindful” activity which can be categorised as “Awareness” which is one of the five ways to personal wellbeing (see below).
Five ways to personal Wellbeing; (NHS Website)
1. Connect - connect with the people around you: your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Spend time developing these relationships.
2. Be active - you don't have to go to the gym. Take a walk, go cycling or play a game of football. Find an activity that you enjoy and make it a part of your life.
3. Keep learning - learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. So why not sign up for that cooking course, start learning to play a musical instrument, or figure out how to fix your bike?
4. Give to others - even the smallest act can count, whether it's a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks.
5. Be Mindful - be more aware of the present moment, including your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness "mindfulness". It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.
For more information on the NHS website click HERE
Listen to some audio guides to boost your mood